Friday, July 18, 2014

China Glaze The Giver Collection 2014 Swatches and Review

Hey everyone!  Today I have for you The Giver Collection from China Glaze.  This collection is inspired by the movie The Giver that comes out in theaters August 15th.  I have to be honest.  I read the book a long time ago, but I don't remember much.  I'll have to dig it up and read it again.

There are 12 polishes; 10 creams, 2 glitters.  Quite a few of these are neutral (which goes along with the  book and there being no color in the Community).  There are a couple bright colors, but this over all reads like a fall collection.

On to the swatches!

First up is History of the World.  The promo pictures made this look more blue than it is.  It's more of a blurple leaning grey.  The consistency was a little thick, but had a pretty nice application.

This is 2 coats.

china-glaze-history-of-the-wold-the-giver




china-glaze-history-of-the-wold-the-giver

Community is a melted milk chocolate brown cream.  It's even a little dusty.  I was least excited about this one, but I think it's a nice neutral option for darker skin tones.  I had no application issues.

This is 2 coats.

china-glaze-community-the-giver

china-glaze-community-the-giver

Seeing Red is a brick red cream.  I don't think I have a color like this in my collection.  Application on this was perfect.  It's so pigmented that it did stain my cuticles a bit.

This is 2 coats, but this is a definite one coater.

china-glaze-seeing-red-the-giver

china-glaze-seeing-red-the-giver


Giver's Theme is a bright reddish purple cream.  It's the quintessential fall polish.  I really loved it against my skin tone.  Application on this was good.

This is 2 coats.

china-glaze-givers-theme-the-giver

china-glaze-givers-theme-the-giver


Capacity to See Beyond is a bright sky blue cream.  Not the most unique of polishes, but it goes along with the book and the characters' eye color.  Application was good, no complaints.

This is 2 coats.

china-glaze-capacity-to-see-beyond-the-giver

china-glaze-capacity-to-see-beyond-the-giver


Friends Forever, Right? is a very pale pink creme.  I mean to the point where you may not be able to tell that it's pink until you hold it next to something that's actually white.  I was honestly prepared to do battle with the white based polish, but it wasn't too bad in the application department.  I was actually pleasantly surprised.  

This is 3 coats shown, but you could definitely get away with 2 coats.

china-glaze-friends-forever-right-the-giver

china-glaze-friends-forever-right


New Birth is the blue version of Friends Forever, Right?.  It's very pale.  The blue tint is extremely subtle.  It also applied very well for a white based polish.

This is 3 coats.

china-glaze-new-birth-the-giver

china-glaze-new-birth-the-giver


Release is a purple leaning taupe.  It's in the same color group as Channelesque.  No complaints about the application.  It went on very nicely.

This is 2 coats.

china-glaze-release-the-giver

china-glaze-release-the-giver


Intelligence, Integrity & Courage is a light gray with blue undertones.  I really like this one and it has a great application.

This is 2 coats.

china-glaze-intelligence-integrity-courage-the-giver

china-glaze-intelligence-integrity-courage-the-giver


Boundary of Memory is one of the 2 glitters in this collection.  This one seems as if it's meant to be worn on it's own, but you may get away with layering.  This one is packed with black, gold, and copper micro glitter in a clear base and you don't need hundreds of layers for opacity.  While this one was on the thick side, it's not unmanageable.

This is 2 coats.

china-glaze-boundary-of-memory-the-giver

china-glaze-boundary-of-memory-the-giver


Last but not least, The Outer Edge.  This is the second glitter of the collection.  It has mostly white micro glitter with glints silver micro glitter in a clear base.  This one is great for layering.

This is one coat over black.

china-glaze-the-outer-edge-the-giver

china-glaze-the-outer-edge-the-giver


Over all I really enjoyed this collection.  I didn't have any application issues with any of the polishes and the colors are pretty.  That said, these aren't the most unique colors out there and the average nail polish fanatic probably has several similar colors in their collection.  As for my personal favorites, I'd have to say History of the World, and Intelligence, Integrity & Courage.

What do you think of the collection?  Will you be buying any?

*I know I'm missing Rule 5.  They sold out of them at one Sallys and the next one I went to didn't have the collection out.  When I asked they told me it doesn't come out to the end of next month and they didn't have it.  They wouldn't even check in the back.  If I do end up getting it, I'll update my post with it.  Have a great weekend!

17 comments :

  1. Boundary of Memory is STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. History Of The World is so interesting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. im pretty meh about this collection. your swatches are great tho.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get what you mean. I can think of a similar color for almost all of these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! It's been sometime since China Glaze compelled me to look into buying a collection, these are great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are awesome!!! now i have to watch the movie or read the book to fully 'get' the names!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you don't mind that I linked to your post in one of my own! I wish I had these myself!
    I can remove the link if you would like! Just let me know. Thank you! (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm feeling the dusty colors like Release. Nice swatching!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Hi napturally kia. I explain why it's not swatched if you read the bottom of the post. I finally got my hands on it and will be adding swatches to the post soon. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  10. I bought Boundary of Memory I haven't worn it yet but thought I would layer it over a bronze to see how it looks Love the glitter

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really slept on this collection. Gonna have to do some hunting!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for visiting!